Martin S. Horwitz
A Beachwood resident for more than 50 years, Mayor Martin S. Horwitz (BHS ’71) has a rich history of service to the city and community. In 1989, he was elected to the Beachwood Board of Education and served the Beachwood Schools for four terms, including four years as President of the Board. During his 16-year tenure, he was actively involved in the construction of Beachwood Middle School, the Fairmount Early Childhood Center and Board Offices, plus major additions to the Beachwood High School, Bryden, and Hilltop schools. He was an early advocate for educational technology and was recognized for his work by the National School Boards Association.
Mayor Horwitz was elected to the Beachwood City Council in 2011. He was re-elected to a second term and served as Council President in 2016 and 2017. He led Council to increase transparency by broadcasting public meetings, placed financial records in a searchable online database, and encouraged more resident involvement through the creation of a Charter Review Commission and Master Plan Committee. Recognizing the need to maintain Beachwood’s superior safety forces, he led Council in increasing police manpower and streamlining the Civil Service process. Mayor Horwitz’s work on City Council also reflects his strong support for increased economic development to keep taxes low, a desire to increase services to residents of all ages and a recognition of the diversity of our community.
Professionally, Mayor Horwitz was been an attorney for 40 years. He practiced in association with his late father, Joseph Horwitz. Mayor Horwitz has served as chairman of many committees in the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association and the former Cuyahoga County Bar Association. He is a Certified Specialist in Workers’ Compensation Law.
Married to Sandra Blank Horwitz for 42 years, Martin and Sandi have two children, Gayle (BHS ’98) and Justin (BHS ’02). They are also the proud grandparents of Sam and Ashton.
- Member, Beachwood 100
- Business member, Beachwood Chamber of Commerce
- Past president, Beachwood Democratic Ward Club
- Member & past trustee, Beachwood Fine Arts Council
- Founding trustee, Beachwood High School Alumni Association
- Founding trustee, Beachwood Historical Society
- Past co-president, Beachwood Band Parent Association
- Public Official Sponsor, Gay Games 2014
- Past member, Beachwood Cable Development Committee
- Past member, Beachwood Recreation Commission
- J.D., The University of Akron-College of Law (1978)
- M.Ed., Educational Technology Leadership, The George Washington University (2002)
- B.A., Political Science, University of Cincinnati (1975)